Monday, December 31, 2007

Taman Negara



I changed my traveling plan, abandoned both Taiwan and Nepal trips but heading to the Taman Negara (National Park) in my country. This world’s oldest rainforest sounds mysterious. I was carrying much hope to enjoy myself but it turned out disappointing instead. The programs organized by the agent are suck, far too short to explore/ experience the charm of the nature. These standard packages are not eye-opening at all, rather bored. They are over commercialized, trails have been seriously rampaged and not one monkey is seen. The guide didn’t provide professional knowledge to help understanding the rainforest better.

Reluctant to leave the NP with disappointment, I extended another day in the park and explore the trails less traveled by the “ordinary” tourists. It was much much better… Trekking in the forest, mostly alone, enveloped in the shades of trees, hoping to catch a glimpse of tiger or bear (I know the chance was meager)… a mixture of scary yet excitement… wonderful though tiring. The time was too short to venture into the deep forest, have only encountered a hoard of wild boars walking pass, buried their nose digging for food; colourful chickens hiding alertly among the branches… again, no monkey…

Some native tribes are still residing in the forest, practicing the primitive life style. Mostly close to the river, sheltering under palm leaf huts, living in poor hygienic environment, hunting and fishing are their source of foods, no cannibal.

I would love to visit again this NP, but to make a longer trek into inner jungle.