Friday, October 15, 2010

20101010 India - Amritsa

I dared not to take the food on the street, therefore I went to a restaurant near to the hotel for breakfast. As expected my food was delivered without knife and fork - Indian style. As no one else in the room, so I asked the cleaner. I thought he would call someone to deliver to me, instead he went to the shelf picking for me! With his fingers at the tip of the fork and grinned. He was cleaning the floor with his hands and a dirty cloth just now! I was shivering and headed to the shelf immediately... regretful instantly... Now I know why it is better to eat with your hands in India.

The city is really dirty. Ahh... an Indian told me this is the dilemma of India. Almost everyone is throwing rubbish out of their hand anywhere.

In this holy city of Sikhs, the Golden Temple is a must-visit. This was Sunday cum a special holiday, the temple was full of devotees, surprisingly not many tourists were seen. It was really beautiful, constructed with white marble and golden domes, spot clean (a contrast to the surrounding outside the temple), flowers fragrance filled the compound... solemn and relax. I visited here in 2 consecutive days.

Devotees could dip in the pool to cleanse their soul. There was a huge kitchen and canteen (a hall) catering free foods for anyone in need. Lots of volunteers were preparing foods, cooking and cleaning like a great communal work.

I didn't know if I was lucky, 2 young ladies approached and asked for my contact no. They couldn't speak English at all. The 1st one looks ordinary like a village girl. Since she demanded unceasingly together with 2 older ladies, I gave my e-mail address to her. I won't reply to her for sure. The 2nd lady was more aggressive. She followed me entering the temple, asked for phone no., photo, address... she even touched me... goshhh... she is not so "attractive", her chin distorts to the left while the upper row of teeth protrudes to the right. Eventually, a guy came to rescue me and talked sternly to this lady.

Visited the adjacent Jallianwala Bagh, a small park commemorates 2000 Indians who were killed or wounded by the British authorities in 1919, some bullet marks are visible.

Another must-do in this city was to make a trip to India/Pakistan border at Wahga, 28km from Amritsa to watch the daily retreat ceremony (closing the border). Lots of visitors on this Sunday. Everyone was pushing and rushing to get a good seat. The crowds of guessing 3000-4000 people on each side were screaming patriotically. The border was merely separated by 2 gates on each side. My seat was slightly too far to see the actions. Both sides seem to parade in the same style. Was fun.

note: finally, I had my 1st KFC in India.