Tuesday, January 20, 2009

GuangZhou (07-Jan-09) – Defensive




I had to be here in GuangZhou to catch my flight back home. I didn’t expect much from this city, but somehow I had some fun here. By speaking the local dialect (Cantonese), basically no one suspected I’m a foreigner… I liked this trick.

The QinPing market was full of traditional herbs dealer. Crisscrossing the alleys, discovering some funny and exotic things, and observing local life. Adjacent to it, the wet market was busy with fresh seafood trading, ranging from huge lobsters, shells, frogs, turtles, snakes, crocodiles to the tiny scorpions. Wondering what else we couldn’t eat?

I spent a morning to the temples, seeing the devotees praying to the Buddha and deities. I prayed for my family and friends, hoped they will be blessed.

Something was strange in GuangZhou. It happened 2 times that we (with another backpacker) were asking someone for direction, they retreated instantly a couple of steps backwards trying to avoid us. Did we look like bad guys or something abnormal? One man even refused to hold our camera to take photo for us. I didn’t know what had happened before making people so defensive and cautious to each other.